Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The new Assistant

In December, I was lucky enough to meet with Rick Pennington who is an amazing photographer here in Birmingham.

I put myself out on a limb and sent him an email asking if he was in need of an assistant or if he offered any kind of apprenticeships. Lucky enough for me, he was in need of an assistant and agreed to me with me to see if we would be a good fit.

I met with him that day, as he was photographing some engagement portraits for a couple he will be shooting a wedding for, at The Club which sits atop a hill overlooking all of downtown birmingham. The weather was cold, cloudy, and windy, but I had never been more excited. Rick is an awesome guy, very laid-back and casual but you definitely know that he knows photography as soon as you talk with him about it. Luckily, I won him over with my charm (or so I'd like to think hehehehe) and he said he'd like for me to work with him.

The first gig was that following Sunday, at the wedding of Emily and Joey at Historic Rucker Place in birmingham. I was extremely nervous as I had no idea what to do. I have never worked with a professional photographer or the gear they come with, so it was all new to me. I was more nervous though that I wouldn't do a good job, and I definitely did not want to mess anything up for rick, and more importantly, didnt want to mess up anything for the bride, groom, and all their guests. It went off without a hitch though and I learned a LOT in the process. Here are a few snapshots I was lucky enough to get when Rick said I could get a few :)











No comments: